Nationwide Car Insurance Review
Nationwide car insurance offers basic products provided by most auto insurers such as Liability Coverage, Comprehensive Car Insurance, Personal Injury Protection, and the likes. The company also has some unique extras such as Auto Watch, SmartRide, Farm Bureau, etc. One add-on that is visibly missing is a ride share protection policy that a number of other policy providers offer. You can take advantage of quite a lot of bundling options with Nationwide that you won’t easily find with other insurance firms.
Known for its catchy commercials, Nationwide is great for you if you have a spotless driving record as you will be treated to some of the cheapest rates available. However, if your driving history has some blemish, you might want to look elsewhere for coverage. Seniors will find this company more appealing than youngers as rates tend to get cheaper the older you get. Despite these pros, Nationwide only offers 6-month terms and tends to be pricier than other providers.
On top of these benefits, Nationwide also has two unique programs to incentivize driving: SmartRide and SmartMiles. SmartRide is an app that tracks your safe driving and makes you eligible for discounts. SmartMiles is a program that saves you money if you aren’t a frequent driver. It’s a pay-per-mile program that charges a base rate and the premium depends on your previous month’s driving. SmartMiles could save an infrequent driver an extra 10% for safe driving.
Nationwide Insurance may be widely known for its car insurance policies, but it also offers life, home, and pet insurance services. The Ohio based company has been providing coverage for its clients since 1925, and you can access the auto insurance policy of Nationwide insurance in all 50 states of the U.S.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
- A+ on BBB: BBB assigns ratings from A+ (highest) to F (lowest). BB ratings are based on information in BBB files with respect to factors such as business's complaint history with BBB, type of business, time in business, transparent business practices and more.
- NAIC: 1.51 – This score gives insight into actual policyholder sentiments toward their policy provider. The baseline complaint index is set at 1.00, so a company with a complaint ratio of 2 for example, has received two times the national market average of complaints annually.
- A+ on A.M Best: AM Best uses its rating system to judge the strength of a company’s financial holdings and assets.
- 4.08/5 on J.D Power: We considered J.D. Power’s regional auto insurance study as well as J.D. Power’s claim satisfaction survey.
J.D Power offers the most comprehensive and independent study of customer satisfaction. The study aims to help consumers and issuers to understand user opinions and ratings of the largest car insurance companies. It covers customer satisfaction, terms, coverage options, communication, rewards and more.
J.D Power’s claim satisfaction survey rates companies on customer’s claims experiences.
At Nationwide, you will find the following coverage options for your car:
- Liability coverage – This covers the expenses in an accident where you damage a car or injure others.
- Collision coverage – Covers any damages to your vehicle if you collide with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive car insurance – A more holistic policy that covers you in different situations.
- Medical payments – Pays for medical fees resulting from an accident no matter who is at fault.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage – Covers any bodily injuries or property damages if an uninsured/underinsured driver is at fault in a loss.
- Personal injury protection – Covers medical, rehabilitation, work loss, replacement, and even funeral costs.
- Property damage liability – Pays for any property damages caused by your car.
- Roadside and accident assistance – Refunds any expenses related to towing and other roadside assistance if your vehicle breaks down during travel.
With Nationwide, you can benefit from the following add-ons:
- SmartRide – Asides an initial signup discount, you can get up to another 40% discount for safe driving when the SmartRide device is fitted in your car.
- Vanishing deductible – Reduces your deductible by $100 for every year your accident cost doesn’t amount to $500.
- Accident forgiveness – Protects you from a rate increase after your first at-fault accident.
- Farm Bureau – If you belong to any associated farm bureau, Nationwide will offer you discounts and accommodations.
- Family plan – Any family member you include in your policy can enjoy the same discounts and benefits available to you.
- Learning center – Get access to different educational tools regarding car insurance and driving on the Nationwide website.
- On Your Side auto repair network – The auto repair centers affiliated with Nationwide provide adequate service and repairs for your vehicles.
- Member connections – Take part in Nationwide’s public events where you can share your insurance experience with other members.
- Plenti rewards program – You can enjoy discounts and cashback rewards at top retail locations across the U.S.
- Auto Watch. You can monitor your vehicle’s repair online via the Auto Watch program.
How to Get a Quote
step 1: To get a quote, simply type in your Zip Code in the space provided on the National Insurance website. You’ll be taken to a page where you’ll fill in your personal information, click on save and continue to proceed.
step 2: The next page is a continuation of your personal details (including address, marital status, email address, and more). Next, you'll fill in the details of the car you want to insure.
step 3: When you're done, click on continue or add another vehicle if you wish to cover more than one vehicle. Next, you'll be required to fill in the details of everyone who lives in your home, including non-drivers. That's all that is needed, and your quote should appear based on all the details you entered.
step 4: You can also download your quote as a PDF file. Click on continue if the price is okay for you.
How to File a Claim
In the event that a loss occurs and you need to file a claim, Nationwide has made it relatively easy for customers. You can do any of these:
- Log in to your account on the website or the app and file a claim
- Call the claims hotline of Nationwide on 1-800-421-3535
- Get in touch with your local agent
No matter the claims channel you choose, you will need to submit the following information:
- Your name and address
- Information regarding witnesses or injured individuals
- Information about the accident
- Nationwide policy number
After your claim has been officially filed, Nationwide will assign a claims professional to handle your situation.
As is with every insurance company, there are some strength areas and some areas of weakness in this Insurance operation. Here the main pros & cons you should know about Nationwide:
You can rest assured that Nationwide auto insurance can cover all of its insurance obligations as it boasts of over $2 billion in assets.
The website of this company is easily navigable, responsive, and beautiful. Customers will find that learning, filing claims, and other essential activities can easily be carried out on the website.
Nationwide’s network of auto repair shops consists of vehicle repair centers that guarantee remarkable services for your insured car.
Nationwide provides its customers with different educational and empowerment tools and resources. These tools are designed to help members drive better and get cheaper rates.
Nationwide provides customers with a fully functional app that allows you to do virtually anything related to your insurance policy on the go, such as making payments, filing claims, receiving roadside assistance, etc. The Nationwide insurance app is available to download for iOS and Android users.
A lot of insurance companies don’t check your credit rating before they offer you their services. It is mandatory for Nationwide to check your credit score before they cover your vehicle.
If you use your car for ride-sharing services, you might need to look for coverage elsewhere if you want protection in that area.
Rates are quite high for some motorists, especially drivers with a stained driving record.
Although there are many communication channels to reach the customer service, there are many customer complaints regarding inconsistent answers from some customer care representatives.
Auto Insurance Discounts
|Discount||How do you receive it?|
|Accident-free||Have a minimum of five years of safe driving.|
|Multi-policy||Bundle a number of insurance policies with Nationwide such as home, life, and auto policies.|
|Anti-theft||Equip your car with a standard anti-theft device.|
|SmartRide||Signup and install the SmartRide device that tracks safe driving.|
|Paperless documents||Start making use of paperless documents.|
Nationwide has a solid reputation for dealing with its policyholder’s car insurance claims. The insurer scores well in claims satisfaction reviews, highlighting that Nationwide takes claims seriously and aims to deal with a claim as quickly and thoroughly as possible. This should provide confidence that if you do have a claim issue, you can rely on a quick response.
Nationwide is not available in all states. In addition to the District of Columbia, it is available in 46 states. The states where Nationwide car insurance is not available include Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Massachusetts. This means that if you’re in one of these four states, you will not be able to access Nationwide car insurance products.
Nationwide offers a good variety of coverage and policyholder benefits. You can choose the type of coverage you need, but Nationwide also helps you to get an annual checkup of your policies to ensure that you have adequate coverage. You can also access a number of discounts to keep your premiums in check and get a good deal.
Progressive has a decent reputation for offering customer support and dealing with claims. Additionally, it is available in all 50 states, which may give it a slight edge over Nationwide. However, Nationwide is considered one of the best insurers at dealing with claims quickly and efficiently. Nationwide also offers a variety of policyholder benefits and provides access to annual policy checkups, so you can check your coverage and that you’re not paying over the odds for coverage that you don’t actually need. This means that Nationwide may be the better choice for you compared to Progressive.
Unlike Nationwide, Liberty Mutual is available in all 50 states, but the coverage options and policy features can vary from state to state.
As with Nationwide, Liberty Mutual has an excellent reputation for dealing with claims. In fact, you can use the Liberty Mutual app to file a claim in less than 10 minutes and access 24/7 support. However, this does come at a cost. Liberty Mutual is considered to be one of the more costly car insurance options, so you are likely to find that Nationwide offers a better deal without compromising on customer support.
So, although Liberty Mutual may not be the cheaper option, it certainly offers far more coverage options, so you can find a policy that meets your specific requirements.
Unlike The Hartford AARP, Nationwide only actually operates in 46 states. However, Nationwide does offer a great variety of coverage and customer benefits. This allows you to tailor your coverage to suit your needs and Nationwide provides annual policy check ups to ensure you continue to have adequate coverage.
The Hartford AARP is more of a specialist insurer, offering coverage for members, with exclusive benefits such as lifetime car repair assurance that are tailored towards the over 50s.
So, unless you are under 50 and have concerns about your coverage level, The Hartford AARP is likely to be a better choice.
While Mercury Auto has a limited coverage area, Nationwide operates in 46 states. This makes Nationwide more accessible. Additionally, Nationwide has an excellent reputation for dealing with claims promptly. This insurer offers a variety of policy options and add ons, allowing you to create tailored coverage.
However, Mercury Auto is a budget insurer. So, if you are more concerned with getting the cheapest coverage, with a bare bones policy and you’re in a Mercury Auto covered state, you may find it more appealing.
Here are our 2 choices of car insurance companies which can use as a great alternative to Nationwide:
Allstate's customer convenience drive, discounts, and a wide range of coverages are probably responsible for its popularity among Americans. Allstate is also famous for its personalized support, and it even offers a customer satisfaction guarantee in terms of its claims process.
You should note, however, that the rates offered by Allstate are somewhat more expensive than the provisions of other top insurers. As long as you meet the requirements to partake of the discounts offered by the company, you will enjoy a more balanced rate with Allstate.
If you're a driver with a clean record, Allstate will treat you with fairly decent rates
Travelers offers the staple insurance products along with some coverage add-ons. While it is true that the rates are quite high when compared to other leading policy providers, the discounts offered by the insurer make the prices competitive. If you are a safe driver, Travelers will prove to be a worthwhile insurance provider – however, if you don't have a clean motoring record, this company might not be so favorable – it is better you look for coverage elsewhere.